Welcome to The Nest Eclectic

The Nest Eclectic

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Little French Finale


If you didn't see my sneak peak before, here is the little end table I found at GW the other day. I was thrilled to find just the right piece to try one of Miss Mustard Seed's classic finishes on. I've been dying to do a piece with a stained top and painted and glazed bottom. This one had such nice curves, I knew it was the perfect candidate.
 I used my little Black and Decker sander for the flat parts and did the rest by hand. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the finish came off.
I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain for the top. The bottom is done in a creamy white followed with a little distressing and the Dark Walnut again for the glaze. I was a little nervous about using the stain as a glaze so it took me a whole day to work up the courage to actually wipe it on. I am such a chicken about things like that sometimes, after all, what is the worst that will happen?  I'm glad I went ahead because I do like the way it looks. For the top coat I used Minwax Paste wax.
Here she is all finished and ready for her close up. I love the staging part of the photo shoot, that is my kind of fun!
I think this finish is a great compromise for those who love wood but want to update a piece. You get the best of both worlds.
I will be putting her up for sale now that her face lift is done and hopefully she will find a new family to love her. I wonder if this is anywhere close to how a plastic surgeon feels after a successful procedure? Wish it were that easy with people, just sand a little, slap on some paint and varnish and you're good to go another 30 years!
I want to say a special thank you to Alison at Stuff and Nonsense for featuring my Holy Cow chair at her Fridays unfolded party. It was really exciting to see my chair chosen to be featured with some other great projects!

Jodie

I am joining in on a few parties
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Show and Tell Friday at Cindy's My Romantic Home
Inspiration FridayAt the Picket Fence

<br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>link up every friday! Furniture Feature Fridays...


20 comments:

  1. Jodie, thanks for stopping by and leaving a message on my blog! It means a lot - I'm so new. It looks like you started blogging just a month before me! I see you are from KC - I lived there for three years. Love the table redo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great piece. Perfect next to the chair. I like the combo of stain and paint. Doesn't take itself so seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I'm not such a big fan of paint and stain together, but I really like this piece. I think the fact you added the stain to the botton ties it into and that's what works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jodie! Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm so glad you liked the chair. I loved what you did with this end table. I'm going to be trying the stained top and painted bottom myself soon. Love that MMS style! Where did the greyish-blue chair in the picture come from? Did you cover the fabric on that too? I love it!

    Also, the other chair you found at GW in your previous post is amazing too. Especially the feet. Recently I've been having trouble finding good deals at GW. Did you have to spend a little more money than you wanted for that one? To get the good stuff now I guess you have to! Can't wait to see the transformation.

    Thanks for following me. I'm following you now too!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful! I did a coffee table in the exact same colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. It looks really amazing. I keep searching to find a cool piece like this to transform. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you made this thing shine again! so pretty i love the wood top too! def looks perfect great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, we must be from the same coop, because I have been too chicken to tackle a table at my house and try that treatment! :-) You're giving me courage though and I'm so glad you linked this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are most welcome...and most talented...this little gem turned out great...how can you bear to part with her? so glad you linked up to fridays unfolded again.

    blessings,

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wouldn't know that was the same piece -- it looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great transformation. I like to refinish furniture, too. I hope you will join my wow us Wednesdays party some time. Thanks for coming by from Sherry's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great love the wood top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great job. I love the French look. I don't know how you can bear to part with it! Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm very happy to have discovered yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BeeYOUteeful transformation!!! I have two end tables to re-do...will be following your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there
    I LOVE what you did to the table. Wonderful job. Now I am going to have to keep my eyes out and see if I can pick up a table...and I will set it aside with some other crafts I have to get going on...*s*..
    I hope you have a great day
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jodie, The table is adorable and I love the finish on it. I am sure it will sell quickly.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jodie: Thanks for checking out my blog and becoming a follower. I just LOVE this side table. You did a fantastic job.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this piece and am thinking of doing something similar to my bedroom furniture. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear from you.