Welcome to The Nest Eclectic

The Nest Eclectic

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Something Old


This post didn't start out being about weddings but it seems that as I went along taking pictures it became just that. I  visited GW yesterday and found something old that I fell in love with. The something old I found was this beautiful brooch and the inspiration for what follows.


This is the third pretty one I've found there recently. I guess I am starting a little collection.Vintage brooches are really beautiful and there are so many things you can do with them.


This little brooch inspired me today. It's sparkle made me think wedding, so I pulled together some things I thought would make a beautiful setting for a rehearsal dinner or wedding reception. I took some black grosgrain ribbon and made a napkin ring topped with the brooch.


Black, white and silver is one of my favorite color combinations for table settings. It makes for a timeless, classic look and is beautiful with other colors added to the mix as well. I used a round silver tray as a charger layered with a square embossed plate and topped with black and white transfer ware.


The etched water goblet belonged to my husband's grandmother.



The cut work table square and linen napkin belonged to mine.


I love glass bubble balls, each one is different and they add a beautiful sparkle to the table.


This is one of my favorite pictures from our daughter's wedding two years ago. She looked so incredibly beautiful that day!
 Photography was by Chris Walter.


When I do a table setting I like to incorporate different heights to add interest. Sometimes I use things in unconventional ways. This is one of a pair of vintage candlesticks I found at an antique store.





 As I was moving things around I set a bubble ball on top of a mercury glass votive that had a battery lit candle inside.


This would be a beautiful effect at night with the lights dimmed.



Try wrapping a gift in something unexpected, like burlap or fabric, and add a grosgrain ribbon topped with a brooch for a special gift for a wedding or shower.






                                                         All because of one little brooch.
                                                                  
                                                                              Jodie


I am joining in on Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Show and Tell Friday at Cindy's My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
   <br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>             link up every friday!       PhotobucketChic on a Shoestring Decorating

12 comments:

  1. The wedding picture is beautiful, so is your table! Great idea for napkin ring decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by my little joint! I love meeting new people and seeing what they are all about. I do tons of signs on mostly salvage wood so loved seeing your horse too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful and love the ideas. I love to collect the broches ass well. Two years ago at my daughters wedding. I made evening clutches for al the bridemaid's and placed a antique brooch on each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rhinestone broaches! Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That brooch is beautiful. For my wedding I bought one from an antique store to wear in my hair. I'm going to make sure to hold on to it and maybe one day my daughter will wear it at hers.

    And thanks for the tip on the wood filler! I've seen the stuff before but thought you had to have some special tool to apply it. I might have to go out and by some. Of course I'll do a few test runs before I try it on my table :).

    Thanks again Jodie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to go antiquing when I lived in the cities. I went through a brooch phase. I HAD to take each one home, even though I had no idea what to do with them. I still don't know, but you got my creative juices going! Thanks! Beautiful and inspiring as usual! Don't stop sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your blog. Look at your beautiful goblets and place settings. Sigh...Love the burlap gift wrapping idea--anything in burlap is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Your brooches are BEAUTIFUL. I have a few of my own that I have collected. Pretty pictures.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post indeed!
    You got a beautiful blog:)
    Have a nice day ahead!..

    Sanghamitra.
    http://rainbow-thecoloursofindia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely gorgeous table. You did an amazing job. The use of the vintage brooches as napkin rings is brilliant!

    I am so glad you visited my blog and became a follower. I am a little late reciprocating as my work schedule has precluded much blogging interaction. But I am now following you, too!

    P.S. Your daughter's wedding photo is so beautiful. Where was it taken?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly created a nice arrangement. I like the black/white/silver them, it looks so elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear from you.