Welcome to The Nest Eclectic

The Nest Eclectic

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Giant Cupcake Love

I'm not sure why I love cupcakes so much, I really don't like cake, but there is something about a cupcake that is so cute and charming. So what could be better than a really big cupcake!



I confess that I bought my giant cupcake pan almost a year ago and had never used it! I got one after seeing the beautiful cupcake that Cindy, at My Romantic Home made. Her cupcake was really amazing, she even made little chocolate sea shells to decorate the cupcake with. Recently Kim, at Cheap Chic Home made a giant cupcake and gave her review of the pan so I decided it was time to break mine out and give it a try, and since my daughter was having a birthday it was time.



The pan doesn't really come with great instructions and after looking on the Internet for advice it was clear that lots of people had experimented to see what worked for them.  I decided to use a strawberry cake mix and make butter cream frosting from scratch. The giant cupcake took 2 cake mixes but I had enough batter left to make 5 regular size cupcakes.


One critical detail is that each compartment of the pan is a different size so one side takes longer to bake than the other. After greasing and flouring the pan, I  filled the bottom half  3/4 full of batter and baked for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. After 10 minutes I filled the top part of the pan 3/4 full and baked the entire cupcake for about 45 minutes longer. I kept a close eye on the cake towards the end and tested for doneness with a wooden kabob skewer. Using those tips the cake turned out perfect for me.



After the cupcake had cooled I cut the top off the bottom and the bottom off the top so they would fit together nicely. I also put a thin layer of frosting between the top and bottom to hold the cake together.



I don't like cake but I do love butter cream frosting and ended up eating quite a bit, actually, quite alot of it while frosting the cake! Do you ever eat too much frosting or cookie dough and start to feel a little sick?



Cake decorating is definitely not my strong suit but I had fun making it. I think it turned out cute and more importantly, the birthday girl liked it!
Jodie





4 comments:

  1. Hey Jodie, Your giant cupcake is adorable. I love cake, this would just make it more fun.
    Thanks for the tip on the dark minwax. Great to know another Olathean for shopping tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love cake. I have alot of cake recipes. This looks sooooo yummy. I think I want one of those pans for sure. I'm going to find one.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I want to eat it! And I too suffer from eat-so-much-frosting-your-stomach-hurts-and-you-feel-disgusting disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. You and I should bake cakes together.

    I love cake but don't like frosting. You don't like cake but love frosting.

    If that's not a match made in heaven, I don't know what is!

    Of course, we wouldn't have anything to show at the end of the day except big, happy smiles on our faces! And maybe some crumbs and some frosting, too... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear from you.