This oatmeal cookie recipe is one of my favorites. It is actually a recipe from Crisco but I added my own little twist. It is a yummy moist cookie and always comes out perfect. It is one of the cookie recipes my guys always ask me to make for them to take on their hunting trips, and who knows cookies better than hungry men!
Here is the twist. Instead of using raisins, like the recipe calls for, I substitute dried cranberries. I use 1 Cup and soak them in orange juice for about 20 minutes. Be sure to drain them well before adding to your dough.
I also substituted pecans for the walnuts.One tip for making your cookies all the same size is to use an ice cream scoop to measure out the dough.
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco Shortening
1-1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups quick oats, uncooked
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raisins, I substitute dried cranberries soaked in orange juice, be sure to drain well before adding to the
1 cup chopped walnuts, I substitute pecans
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease baking sheets. Place sheets of foil on counter top for cooling cookies.
2. Combine Butter Flavor Crisco, brown sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed
until well blended.
3. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into creamed mixture at low speed just until
blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts.
4. Drop rounded tablespoons ( I use an ice cream scoop with dough leveled off) of dough onto baking sheet.
5. Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool 2
minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to foil to cool completely.
Makes about 2-1/2 dozen.
Recipe from Crisco and adapted by me. Enjoy!