Welcome to The Nest Eclectic

The Nest Eclectic

Monday, February 28, 2011

Peaches, a taste of summer in the winter!




I don't know what kind of weather you have been having but here in Kansas we had ice, sleet and rain over the weekend, so I thought you might enjoy a little something to remind you of warmer days. Back in June my sister in-law, Tina, and I went out to Pome on the Range, an orchard in Homewood, KS to buy fresh peaches. We each came home with a big box full and prepared them to freeze so we could enjoy a taste of summer all winter long. For those of you who have never tried this you must! You don't have to be a farm woman or an expert cook to tackle this since it doesn't involve canning, and your family will thank you every time you pull a bag out of the freezer.

We chose the sugar pack method.

1. Choose good quality, ripe peaches while in season. In Kansas the peaches are ready in June.
2. Wash and peel the peaches, then slice.
3. Mix 1 T. of Fruit-Fresh and 1 cup of sugar with each quart of sliced 
    fruit, stirring gently so all the peaches get coated.              

   Fruit-Fresh prevents the peaches from turning
   brown and can be found at your local grocery store.

    
  
4. Divide the peaches into quart sized freezer bags. I  put in however much I think we will use in one sitting,   usually 2-3 cups.
   
5. Freeze. I lay the packages down in a foil pan to
    freeze, that way they stay corralled and take up less space in the freezer.


6. Thaw in the refrigerator and enjoy. They taste
     fabulous over ice cream!

For more information on canning and freezing you can contact your local extension office. They are a wealth of information on pretty much anything that has to do with the home and garden.


 
I made a fresh peach pie the day I put the peaches up. Peach is my favorite pie!!!!

I had to get a little fancy with the crust and express my creative side. My good friend, DeLynn, taught me how to make the perfect pie crust several years ago. It is light and flaky and is much better than store bought crust. I will share the recipe with you in a future post.
You will have to put freezing peaches on your list of things to do this summer!
                                                                                                              Jodie

I am joining in on Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House
Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I would love to hear from you.